It all started in 1999, when tux put her collection of lyrics online, using nothing but Notepad and hard work. Obviously a bunch of hand-made files wouldn't last for long, but everything needs to start out small. After three years of struggling, Elviver agreed to build a site in PHP, and songs were put into a database. This allowed for lasting growth, the ability to search, and an overall decent site.
However, it was still only one person adding songs. This changed at the end of 2004, when Shiar joined to - initially - take a quick look at the code. But surprise! This soon resulted in a complete makeover, and the birth of Lyrical. We began to distinguish ourselves by focusing more on quality and internationality, and kept on growing: in songs, features, and recently even in people helping out.
Of course a lot more disputably great features are to come in the future. Ideas are abundant, and with our lasting enthusiasm things are bound to improve continuously. If you want to help, or in case you have any questions or suggestions, do not hesitate to contact us.
And now for the us that's currently maintaining this site:
- Has been a devoted miracle worker ever since she started this thing. Unequaled in no-nonsense adding sprees.
-- Spieter petter pater ik kom een druppel later
- Mister perfect should be his middlename (:
Always busy coding new features and improving old stuff. Sitting on our backs to be as perfect as we can be.
-- Povus esti simple, sed estas ne
- Our favorite fake Dutch (geweldig jaa..?). Started out by translating everything into Swedish, but remains a very active contributor to date.
-- To please the lions in this day
- From the land of goulash comes our MegaBrutal. Eagerly translates both Lirama and lyrics from and to Hungarian.
-- Minden él, és magába visszatér - Régi és Új örök harca dúl
- Translated parts of the site into Finnish, and keeps hanging around, even adding the occasional song or two.
- Silent, working behind the screens. Responsible for most of our Finnish contents, and doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.
-- Ehkäpä viimein tajuaa, hiljaisuus mitä tarkoittaa
- Got him to thank for an excellent Greek version of this site. Can be sufficiently stubborn, but we've survived our misunderstandings.
-- Vanitas Vanitatum, dixit ecclesiastes, vanitas vanitatum, et omnia vanitas
- Multiple languages all combined into one person. Helped out with the German and Spanish translations and also added some lyrics in various languages.
- Specialized in fulfilling user requests.
Translates a lot to/from Finnish, while acquiring skills in Japanese.
-- I am who I am, I am what I have done.
- Responsible for translations into Czech, including the entire site interface.
-- Past is only a memory, future is a dream, but you live NOW!
- Has long been a resident of our chat before we could finally persuade him to join the team.
Now does a good job adding songs whenever he has the time.
-- If we destroy each other, we might save a life or two
- A recent volunteer who has already added an enormous amount of lyrics of high quality.
- Quickly became one of the top adders, and a common name on the request page.
-- I believe in happy endings
This site should produce clean HTML and CSS, according to the W3C standards. If you aren't easily impressed with technical terms, it just means these pages weren't made with any one specific internet browser in mind. Any decent standards-compliant browser should suffice. So we are the last to stand in your way if you want to visit from some weird alternate platform, your cellphone, or a microwave oven.
Furthermore, we are proudly using Unicode to display all characters in various languages. Nowadays, this should not pose any problems on any non-crap computer. Some of the more exotic scripts may require additional fonts to appear correctly though.
This Lirama has Super Cow Powers.